Sunday, March 2, 2008
Unfortunately, the carriage is sticking loads and really slowing me down, and I'm worried that I'm hurting the machine trying to move it when it doesn't want to. I am so tempted to take it all off the machine and start handknitting from here! But if i could just get it working it is so much quicker.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
As someone who generally only has one WIP at a time, I have found myself battling with one handknit WIP and one machine knit WIP. I knew I had a lot of flying and sitting around for work on Monday, so started a sock on Sunday. I like the yarn and the colour, and the pattern, but I am not so sure about the combination. Here it is next to my beer, in the departure lounge waiting to fly home on Monday evening. The yarn is Regia, colour passion. The pattern is Leyburn socks.
I have also started a Tangled Yoke Cardigan. So far I have almost completed the garter rib on one sleeve. Garter rib is not a good idea on the knitting machine, but I think it is still slightly faster than knitting by hand, and has been good practise for hand manipulation of the knitting. Much of this cardigan is stocking stitch, which will be much faster than hand knitting. I plan to knit by machine until I get to the part where the fronts and back join the sleeves, and then knit by hand. A swatch to check the difference between my handknitting guage and machine knitting guage shows them to be a close match, so hoping this could work out well. I am going to have to knit the front seperately from the back due to the number of needles on the machine.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
I've sorted the sleeves on the hoody and it's now all finished and with it's recipient. Unpicking everything probably took longer than knitting and putting it together in the first place. I still like the colours and am glad I sorted it out. Together with the bootees, it was a well received present.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Well a couple of days ago, I figured out that I had forgotten the increases on the sleeves, which is why they are so rectangular and so wrong. The hoody is now substantially un-knitted. The sleeves were carefully un-sewn as was the hood, and the sleeves are now frogged, and the re-knitting has started. I am hoping that the new sleeves can be carefully sewn back in, and the hood sewn back on without disturbing the band around the hood and both fronts.
Luckily Raspy is finished, and I like it. It was worn to band practise and knitting group this week, and raised no comment and lots of positive comments at the two events! It fits well, and I think it is the kind of thing I like to wear. Hopefully I will get a photo soon.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Pattern: Bobbie from Rowan Classic Bambino
Yarn: Sirder Snuggly double knitting; colours 0256, 0260, 0251
Needles: Knit on the machine with settings 3 at top, and 8 on the carriage, I got guage of about 28sts and 40 rows per inch. Pattern should have been 22sts and 30 rows, so that wasn't good, but it looks ok
Saturday, February 16, 2008
I have made modifications for me being short, which is one of my main concerns for the finished size fitting me nicely. I have also added some short row shaping to the front as I have been worrying that a jumper with a back and front the same height would not be good for me. Also, I started knitting one size, and reknit most of the back to make the smaller size, having seen a lot of reviews that this knit up on the large size. If I had carefully read the finished size and noticed the amount of ease, that would have saved me a lot of knitting.
It has been a nice mindless knit, and I love the fabric that this has created. I just hope the finished size will be okay.
E.T.A. Maybe I should have worried more about all the loose ends of yarn managing to get out of the bag and tangling themselves up in an amazingly complicated way. That's about an hour wasted that I could have spent knitting.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
I am knitting an ongoing Raspy sweater in Rowan Denim, which is odd toknit with, but producing stocking stitch panels that drape really nicely. I am probably about half way there on that.
Over the weekend I had a break from large sweaters.
The first of the weekend knitting was a Bobby hoody by Rowan, in Classic Bambino, but also recently in a magazine supplement that someone on the Angel Yarns forum was nice enough to send me. The stocking stitch was all done on the knitting machine, which has mostly worked well. After a chat with a nice lady from the machine knitters guild at a stitch n craft show in Sandown a week ago, I removed the needle retaining bar, tried in vain to buy a new one and eventually replaced the dead foam with draft excluder. It has made a big difference to the behaviour of the machine, and i was keen to try and actually knit something.
I wasn't sure of the dark maroon edging, until I added the buttons, which I think are lovely.
I also knitted some Mary Jane style bootees to match.
A good friend had a baby 8 days ago, so hopefully these will go to a good home in the next few days.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
So far; I am planning to hand knit on the moss stitch afterwards
I cast on .... stitches, knitted a few rows on waste yarn, 1 row with the removable cord, and 46 rows with the main colour.